A 64-year-old man died in custody at the Adams County Detention Facility last week after swallowing an object containing what officials believe were fentanyl pills.
The man died just after midnight on Sept. 8 while waiting in a holding cell to post bail, according to the Adams County Sheriff’s Office.
The man’s vital signs were taken and he completed a medical questionnaire as part of the standard intake process when he arrived at the jail at 10:39 p.m. Sept. 7 on an arrest warrant.
The man received a wheelchair due to a medical condition and was waiting in a holding cell when deputies noticed he was unresponsive just before midnight.
Deputies and paramedics performed CPR and administered Narcan as a precaution, and the man was pronounced dead at 12:05 a.m. Sept. 8.
A square object was found in the man’s throat during an autopsy. It contained multiple pills that investigators believe were fentanyl. Body camera and in-car camera footage of the man’s arrest and transport show the man reaching into the front of his pants and placing something in his mouth at 10:29 p.m. while he’s being transported to the jail.
The investigation into the incident and the man’s death are ongoing, according to the sheriff’s office.
Sign up to get crime news sent straight to your inbox each day.